Saturday, April 16, 2022

Falling at the Waterfall

 


 

At the foot of the waterfall,

I slip on the rocks and topple

backwards into private dark.

 

The water mutters sorry, sorry,

but I've stumbled over dry stone

because of age and clumsiness.

 

In a whirl of day-night sky

rich with unkempt promises,

I’m outside myself looking in.

 

The spring forest mumbles

its half-formed melodies,

mocking the absent songbirds.

 

Voices of a school group hiking

up a nearby peak retort

to the wind-speak with their shrills.

 

I feel malformed lying here

with bruises flowering and bones

intact but freshly resentful.

 

Upright again, I’m a challenge

to myself. I climb the ledge

to the fork in the trail and choose.

 

I’m too old to hike alone,

but no one’s ever quite alone

on these trails in sprightly weather.

 

The murmur of the waterfall fades

and one authentic thrush critiques

my concern for mutual extinction.

 

My little fear subsides. Only

a couple of rotten spots to prove

I’m still human enough to hurt.

 


 

No comments: